What is stress? Generally speaking stress is often defined as a series of events that create disharmony; or when our body moves out of of harmony - out of homeostasis.
Homeostasis is the process used by the body to maintain a stable internal environment. Stress on the body creates that fight or flight response, which itself is caused by the adrenal hormone cortisol. When under prolonged stress, elevated cortisol levels can create considerable disharmony in the body like:
- Impaired cognitive performance
- Suppressed thyroid function
- Blood sugar imbalances such as hyperglycemia
- Decreased bone density
- Decrease in muscle tissue
- Higher blood pressure
- Lowered immunity and inflammatory responses in the body, slowed wound healing, and other health consequences
What does this mean for me?
Managing stress is a vital part of wellness care. I love both essential Oils for reducing stress and bringing the body back in to homeostasis.
Which essential oils do you suggest for stress?